Thursday, October 27, 2005

Reflections

So, the trip has ended...and I am firmly back into the swing of things in DC. I have taken the past month to really reflect on my trip. When I started planning this great adventure, many thought I was crazy...had a few loose screws...didn't think I could pull it off...etc. I on the other hand thought I was going to have the time of my life, regardless of the obstacles I would have to overcome to make it happen. After 11 weeks on the road (and more than 10,000 miles in the "bug killer"--which encountered quite a few new dents, scratches, and other damage), I look back and smile at all the amazing sunsets and sunrises, the beautiful star constellations, rainbows, scenic vistas, great new friends...and realize: I just had the TRIP OF MY LIFE! The new relationships that were created are very valuable to me, and the ability on a daily basis to do whatever I want really allowed me to get out and live life...the way we are supposed to live...by having fun!

I enjoyed time in many great cities. Many people ask me my favorite spots, and it is so tough. Colorado is a great state, with many great cities/towns...and excellent microbrews! The beauty of Lake Tahoe always amazes me, and the climate in southern California is unbeatable. Austin is a vibrant, young city with lots of outdoor activities and fun people...and there are so many others!

On the XTERRA triathlon racing front, I hit a few bumps in the road. My knee injury greatly impacted my ability to meet my goals, my bike was stolen in San Francisco, and altitude felt like it was punching me in the chest while adding lead to my legs. After climbing as high as #4 in the mid-atlantic age group rankings, I finished in 7th spot, qualifying for the USA Championships for the second year. I love racing, and will dedicate this off-season to fixing my knee, and getting right back into it next season. One day I hope to be able to join my training partner Frank Febbraro out at the World Championships in Hawaii...where he just had a great finish this past weekend!!

A special thanks to all the friends I stayed with along the way...you made the trip what it was. Also, thanks to everyone who called and e-mailed throughout the trip, it was always good to hear what was happening on the "other" Coast.

Even more important, thanks to everyone who contributed to the American Cancer Society. Over the past 2 years, we have raised more than $5,000 for cancer research and prevention. I really appreciate your generous donations! I believe that many of us have contributed to the Hurricane disasters, so I am not asking for any more contributions, thanks!

So, to end with a quote from a few of my friends who live on the other side of the coast "Tucker you are so west coast!" We will see ;) PURA VIDA!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home